Monday, August 13, 2007

Network: a problem about 'Connection reset by peer'

When I log in a remote computer by ssh from my home and if I keep it inactive for a while (for example, 10 mins), I often was kicked out with the message, for example:
=====================

Read from remote host jasper-clued0.fnal.gov: Connection reset by peer
====================

This happened probably because a firewall or other packet filtering device (such as your router) drops idle connections after a certain period of time.

------------------------------------------
A solution based on the ssh server side
can be found here (Dugan provided me with this solution):

http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/OpenSSH_ClientAliveInterval.html

Simply speaking, the solution is add a line

ClientAliveInterval 300

in the file:

/etc/ssh/sshd_config

and reload the sshd server configuration with

/sbin/service sshd reload

--------------------------------------
Another solution based on client side provided by my colleage Horst at Fermilab is:
to add

echo 300 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time

into the file /etc/rc.local

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page