Thursday, March 27, 2008

linux: open pdf within a browser window AND how to browse e-books from NetLibrary

Lots of interesting e-books from our SFU library are based on the site of www.netlibrary.com . The readers have to go to the online lib. However, the NetLib didn't provide Linux users about their reader softerware (only for windows users). I notice that essentially when one reads an e-book online, it is a pdf file downloaded (only one page each time). No need special reader at all! However, my browser cannot open pdf file within a browser window so that I have to click a diagostic window to save it or read it by certain pdf software. If I can read pdf files within the browser, then the life becomes simpler. No need to open the pdf file each time, just read the book in the browser! I tried some approaches by following instructions on the internet. Finally I solve the problem. I think the essential steps are also useful for windows users.

- type : about:plugins in your web address blank line to see if acrobat reader plugins over there. If not, see the next
- try to find the lib file which should be located in the directory where acrobat reader is installed, in my case, it is:

/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so . copy it over to the directory where

firefox is installed, in my case,

/home/myusername/.mozilla/plugins/

- check about:plugins again. If not, read the next line.
- re-initialize the data base, remove files pluginreg.dat where your firefox is installed.
- I guess the problem should be solved. I refer to the web page here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Opening+PDF+files+within+Firefox

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page